L'événement culturel de l'été à Bruxelles!
Young Vic Theatre - The Maria
Some 150 yards to the west of the Old Vic is the Young Vic, which was founded by Frank Dunlop under the wing of the National Theatre in 1970. The architectural practice of Howell, Killick, Partridge and Amis - on the face of It an unusual choice, associated as It was with London County Council housing and various Cambridge colleges - was commissioned to design this rather unconventional theatre for young adults; and, mainly from the drawing board of William Gough Howell, there emerged an Inspired low-budget solution.
A bombslte facing Short Street and terraces of red-brick shops and flats of about 1900 was selected as the location, and It was decided to retain one three-storey 19th-century house, with Its bungalow shop, within the site. Thus Wilson Bros, 66 The Cut, became the main entrance foyer to the complex, with its attractive green and white patterned wall tiling. To the right of No. 66 the chamfered auditorium block was added, providing a 24-foot high flexible space for dance or conventional drama, and to the left a studio with café, all contained within a raw concrete-block shell. Access to storage and workshops is from the rear in Cons Street.
Dame Sybil Thorndike opened the theatre on 11 December 1970, with Frank Dunlop directing an adaptation of Mollere’s The Cheats of Scapino. Since that time a wide variety of plays have been successfully performed, including The Taming of the Shrew, Waiting For Godot, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead and French Without Tears. The theatre Is now Independent, with its own board of management.
Conceived in the 1960s' spirit of iconoclasm and improvisation, it opened in 1970 as a place in which younger directors, designers, actors, writers and technicians could work alongside the world's great theatre artists to present exciting productions at the lowest possible seat prices.